Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting Viva Scrapper...Hot rod girl with a nasty knitting habit: When in doubt, fry the sucker Viva Scrapper...Hot rod girl with a nasty knitting habit: When in doubt, fry the sucker

Viva Scrapper...Hot rod girl with a nasty knitting habit

Your friendly neighborhood Hot Rodding, Rock and Rolling, Knitting Chick! Yeah, I'm fun like that.

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

When in doubt, fry the sucker

I love Crazy Aunt Purl for this post.
It's come to my attention that people in Los Angeles just do not appreciate Okra. I lived in Georgia, I love Okra, pickled Okra is like crack to me. It's somthing I can stash in the fridge and munch on late at night after a long evening of jello shots and beer. I looooove fried Okra as well, but it's really hard to find Okra in the grocery store unless it's frozen but the frozen kind gets a snot like slimy texture when cooked.

I also love boiled peanuts. It's a total southern thing. Most people have never ever heard of this scrumptious treat from "down there" but in most parts of the south from about late June to early September give or take you can find these beauties at most gas stations and mini marts. Usually they come in plain and cajun. Plain is just boiled forever in salt water where as cajun has some kinda spicy mixture. My big thing was to do a container of half plain and half cajun. I mastered the art of shelling them and driving.

For the record the "good" peanuts are available at the Texaco station at the entrance to Ft. Steward army base near Savannah GA. Also for the record there is sometimes a crazy old guy with a pick up full of watermelon who will sell you one for a dollar...good stuff.
The trick is you have to use green un processed peanuts, in GA you could buy them by the bag in your local Kroger but here in Los Angeles it's a bit trickier.
So this year...round August I'm ordering from These Guys

this year I'm gonna have a boiled peanut party. People either Love them or Hate them...which one are you?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home